Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tempest

Tempest by Julie Cross
  • Reading level: Ages 14 and up
  • Hardcover: 352 pages
  • Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin; Book Club (BCE/BOMC) edition (January 17, 2012)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0312568894
  • ISBN-13: 978-0312568894
The year is 2009.  Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy… he’s in college, has a girlfriend… and he can travel back through time. But it’s not like the movies – nothing changes in the present after his jumps, there’s no space-time continuum issues or broken flux capacitors – it’s just harmless fun.

That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to the future.

Desperate to somehow return to 2009 to save Holly but unable to return to his rightful year, Jackson settles into 2007 and learns what he can about his abilities.

But it’s not long before the people who shot Holly in 2009 come looking for Jackson in the past, and these “Enemies of Time” will stop at nothing to recruit this powerful young time-traveler.  Recruit… or kill him.

Piecing together the clues about his father, the Enemies of Time, and himself, Jackson must decide how far he’s willing to go to save Holly… and possibly the entire world.


I’ve always been a paranormal romance fan, but I think with Tempest, I might be changing gears into sci-fi..:D

Ms. Cross did a wonderful job of weaving a time-travel concept which is both engaging and thrilling, living in the present, while discovering the past to save the future, it’s an awesome experience, jumping from time to time, a well-written book…straight to the point, and I didn’t lost myself nor confused the dates..:D ..

A real-page turner, I finished this one, just in one sitting.:D I loved reading Jackson’s journals about his adventure, everytime it turns up, I read it hungrily, but it only appeared a few in the book… it is especially new for me since the point of view is written in a male’s perspective, but I enjoyed it thoroughly, what’s going on in Jackson’s head is real and

The characters too, have their own personality, which makes Tempest more endearing, each of them is unique, I love Jackson, the nerd Adam, Jackson’s dad, Emily (I have my theory who she really is lol), Holly ,everyone, even Courtney. It seems I too, don’t really know who is the good guys, and which one to avoid…

What I loved about this book is the ideas/plot isn’t that overwhelming to the readers, some sci-fi books would make my mind ache but with Tempest, I easily grasped the storyline and the characters, I even formulate my own theories with them. A lot of things are going on in the book, but I really loved each of it, I was not bored even in a second, as the book unwinds, new mysteries unfold, new questions arise, which makes the readers, wish for more…

if you’re not into sci-fi, don’t worry, it’s not the only thing that defines Tempest, this is a fast-paced, action-oriented, young adult (new adult) novel that would easily grip you from the very first page…pack with romance, time-travel, mystery, action and suspense..what more can I ask for? The second book!


A cliff-hanger, I can’t wait for the sequel, which sadly will be released on 2013… almost a year of waiting (sigh)





View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I have not read Tempest yet. I haven't read a lot of time travel yet, and I think that keeps me from picking up time travel books. And sci-fi is new for me as well, with Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris being the first. I loved it. I think after your review, I will read Tempest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not really into sci-fi books but I think you convinced me to read this one. I like it more if it's fast paced so I won't be bored so this will be a good one. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Listia

Auctions for free stuff at Listia.com